21 Oct 2013
Allium B Kitchen: Apple & Strawberry Crumble
I currently have a very ripe apple tree occupying my garden, and all I seem to do everyday is pick apples off the ground and chuck them away, but the other day it occurred to me that instead of throwing them away I should actually use them, so after some googling, I found a few recipes to try, and ended up creating this very simple crumble. I am still getting compliments two days later with hints of when the next one will end up on the table, so without further ado here is the very simple recipe.
You will need
3 cooking apples
150g plain flour
50g granulated sugar
75g salted butter
pinch of salt
2 tbs granulated sugar (for the strawberries)
1 tbsp plain flour (for the strawberries)
1. If you're planning to cook it straight after preparing, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. If you want, however, you can make the crumble beforehand, and cook it later.
2. hull and halve the strawberries. Place them in a large bowl with 2 tbsp sugar, the flour and salt. Set aside.
2. Half fill a large saucepan with water, and peel, core and chop the apples into 1-2cm chunks. Place them in the saucepan to stop them from ruining
3. Drain all of the water from the saucepan, add another 2 tbsp of water and 50g of the sugar, and place on a medium heat on the hob. Stew until the apples become mushy.
4. Once mushy, put the apples and strawberries into an ovenproof dish.
5. Place the flour and the remaining sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and use your hands to mix everything together until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs.
6. Cover over your mixture
7. Place in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes
8. serve with warm custard or cream