19 Aug 2013
Allium B Kitchen: Soda Bread
Having never tried making bread before, and having a craving for a crusty loaf I decided to search the that internet place for the easiest recipe I could find and without waiting hours for it to prove. I stumbled on this beauty of a recipe over at Rosies blog (who may just be one of our favourites) and got right too it.
You will need
1.5lbs wholemeal flour
1.5tsp bicarbonate of soda
1pints butter milk
4oz dried cranberries
(the original recipe has pine nuts also, but I didn't fancy adding them this time)
1.Pre-heat your oven to 200°C/400°F.
2. Add you flour, salt & bicarb to a big mixing bowl and throw in your berries.
3. Pour in your buttermilk
4. Mix together until the mixture is combined (but not too much you don't want to overwork it)
5. Flour your surface and place your dough on it
6. Half the mixture, and roll the 2 separate pieces into a ball and flatten slightly
7. Cut a shallow cross in the centre
8. Pop in the oven for half an hour
9. Once done, wrap the 2 loafs in separate damp tea towels (to help get that amazing crust)
10. Once cool you are ready to go. Slather with butter, or add any topping you fancy.